XYZ data format for spatially and temporally varying wind field

I understand EFDC Explorer is able to simulate both spatially and temporally varying wind stress. In the “Edit” tab under the “Hydynamic” tab, I found there is an “Import Data” function for importing the wind data. However, I have no idea what the format should the XYZ file be in.

In my understanding, there should be columns for X coordinate, Y coordinate, wind speed in the X direction, wind speed in the Y direction, and the time for the data. But how should I put those into the file? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Hello Rekize,

Yes, EFDC Explorer can import the data for basically any time series or boundary data. Import data works best when you have the input file already created. If you are going to create a new wind series then you can create a new series in the EFDC Explorer itself. The format of wser.inp file is as follows:
0.000 2.5928 350.0000
0.042 3.6210 340.0000
0.083 4.1128 340.0000
0.125 4.1128 330.0000
0.167 2.5928 310.0000
The first column is time is days. Second column is wind speed in m/s and third column is wind direction in degrees.

Once you create a new wind data series in EFDC Explorer then the data will be saved in wser.inp which you can use in other models by using the import function.

I hope it helps.

Let me know if you have any confusion.

Best Regards,
John

Hi John,

Thank you, this is indeed very helpful. But I have one more question: In the User’s Manual for EFDC_Explorer 7, it says “The ‘Wind Data’ frame provides access to the WSER spatially varying options.” in the beginning of section 5.6.2. However, I don’t exactly know how to create an input file for a spatial varying wind field in the simulation domain.

Thank you very much for your reply again.

Cheers,
Rekize

Hello Rekize,

You need to have at least two time series in order to specify WSER spatially varying options. Suppose you have an area of interest and you have two meteorological stations near to your area of interest. You can use both sets of data from the stations using the Spatially varying options. So, first create two wind time series. After you activate the two time series then only the area for specifying series weighting will be activated. Then you can click on series weighting options then you can specify what fraction you want to use from station 1 and what fraction from station 2. You can view this specified information also on the view plan options under fixed parameters and wind weight.

If you want to specify the wind sheltering then you should go to wind sheltering option.

I hope this helps.

John

Hi John,

Thanks so much, I now have a better understanding on the subject. My situation is that I have the complete spatially varying wind field data, so the way I can think of is to make as many series as the number of cells in the model, then assign the weight of each cell to 1 to the series that corresponds to that cell. This works fine but it seems to be inconvenient and time consuming. I would like to ask if there are more convenient ways for such a purpose?

Thanks a lot,
Ricky