Waves and Boundary Conditions

Hi,

I have a question about input files. How do I specify waves at the downstream boundary? I have tried it with the wave.inp file as the example given in the manual, but it returns an error while reading the data:

SCANNING INPUT FILE: EFDC.INP
ALLOCATING ARRAYS
ZEROING REAL ARRAYS
ZEROING Integer ARRAYS
READING THE MAIN EFDC CONTROL FILE: EFDC.INP DEBUG OFF READING CELL.INP READING CELLLT.INP READING DXDY.INP READING SEDBLBC.INP READING SEDW.INP READING SEDB.INP READING SNDW.INP READING SNDB.INP READING BEDLAY.INP READING BEDBDN.INP READING BEDDDN.INP
NSNAPSHOTS= 10
WAVE: WAVEBL.INP
READ ERROR ON FILE WAVE.INP , 1ST DATA

TAP ANY KEY TO EXIT EFDC_DSI

Does this error mean my first line of the wave.inp file is wrong?

Thanks for the help,

PV

Thanks for your question. Waves are not specified just at the boundary. The WAVE.INP is used for externally computed 2D wave variable fields over the entire model domain (or a subset). This is used for ISWAVE=2 option. This option computes boundary layer as well as wave induced currents from the radiation shear stresses. The WAVEBL.INP is only for wave impacts on the boundary layer only (ISWAVE=1). You must not have used EE to generate the files because EE generates the correct file for the selected option. That said, you might want to use the internally generated wave condition due to winds. This works for windwaves but not for regional wave propagation into the model domain. That is what ISWAVE=1 and 2 are for. Regards, EFDC_Explorer Development Team

OK, thanks for the help, I’m getting there!

So if I understand right now, I need to specify a wave field generated with another model. And then apply this wave field to my model domain. I try to model a little marina in the mouth of a river that flows into a large lake. Which wave option would be best (iswave 1 or 2)??

I was able to generate a wave.inp file (iswave=2) which is indeed different from the file example given in the manual. However I have a couple of questions about it. In the comments it says that you need to specify the following

I J HMP WVENE SXX SYY SXY WVDISP WANGLE

But it doesn’t explain the HMP; is that the wave height? And what are the units for the other variables? And are these compatible with SWAN output? Specially for the sxx, syy and sxy variables.

Although, when I run it for just 1 cell I get a floating error…

Thanks again,

P

If you are simulating a small marina connected to a lake you might want to use ISWAVE=3 or 4 since these are all locally wind generated waves. ISWAVE = 1 links external wave models to EFDC but only applies to wave impacts on the boundary layer. ISWAVE = 2 links external wave models to EFDC and allows for wave generated currents. The variables used for the radiation shear stresses, needed to produce the wave generated currents, are the SXX, SXY and SYY variables. See attached file for units. SWAN does not produce radiation shear stresses. You can compute them yourself then link those results to EFDC using ISWAVE=2 or you can just use ISWAVE=1.

Hello Everyone,

I am experimenting on trying to force an EFDC model with wave radiation stresses computed by a SWAN model (built on the same computational grid as EFDC). My task is to construct a WAVE.INP file from a SWAN model run, and this is where I am having some difficulty.

It is my understanding that SWAN has output variables RADSTR (work done by the radiation stress, scalar) and FORCE (gradient of radiation stress, vector in x- and y- directions). I understand that ADCIRC can be forced with SWAN’s variable FORCE. EFDC’s WAVE.INP file however requires Sxx, Syy, and Sxy which SWAN does not readily output. Does anyone know how to convert SWAN’s radiation stress output and use them for an input to EFDC. I think that other inputs required by EFDC can readily be provided by SWAN.

Any comments/suggestions/guidance are welcome.

Pat

We are sorry, but the level of support required to answer this question is beyond the scope of the EFDC_Explorer Development Team for this forum. However, if other users are able to respond to this question, please do so.