Units for rainfall in aser.inp

I am just wondering what exactly are the units for rainfall in aser. It seems like I should put it into meters and then it will automatically convert to m/s, but if you look through the Lake Okeechobee example model, that translates to Lake Okeechobee receiving over 5 meters of rainfall in over a year.

Tom, thanks for the feedback. Yes, I was just trying to find any example of an aser.inp and ran across the large Lake Okeechobee example. I’ll definitely keep an eye on those conversions, as other posts said to be aware of those parameters because sometimes they get reset.

Hi Tom! In this example, the RAINCVT is 1.1574E-05, instead of 7.0556E-6m/s in the “C RAINCVT =CONVERTS …”. Could you explain this value a little bit more? Thanks

The units for rainfall in aser.inp are typically in m/s.There are two lines in the header of aser.inp to pay attention to with regards to rainfall:Line 9:C RAINCVT =CONVERTS RAIN TO UNITS OF M/SEC,inch/hour=0.0254 m/3600 s=7.0556E-6m/s and Line 26:C RAIN =RAIN FALL RATE LENGTH/TIME The conversion factor appears on the two lines preceding your time series data for each atmospheric station in your aser.inp file:C ** MASER TCASER TAASER IRELH RAINCVT EVAPCVT SOLRCVT CLDCVT ! *** ID 9547 86400.0 0.0 1 1.1574E-05 1.1574E-05 1.0 1.0 ! ASER_1I’m not sure what is going on with the precipitation in the Lake Okeechobee model since that is 4-5 times the average annual precipitation, as you pointed out.Definitely take care when doing the conversion, as precipitation can have all kinds of units associated with it that may not necessarily be normalized by a unit of time.Hope that helps!Tom

Hi In Art,The 1.1574E-5 conversion factor would get you from units of meters per day to units of meters per second.Hope that helps clear things up!Tom

The units for rainfall in aser.inp are typically in m/s.There are two lines in the header of aser.inp to pay attention to with regards to rainfall:Line 9:C RAINCVT =CONVERTS RAIN TO UNITS OF M/SEC,inch/hour=0.0254 m/3600 s=7.0556E-6m/s and Line 26:C RAIN =RAIN FALL RATE LENGTH/TIME The conversion factor appears on the two lines preceding your time series data for each atmospheric station in your aser.inp file:C ** MASER TCASER TAASER IRELH RAINCVT EVAPCVT SOLRCVT CLDCVT ! *** ID 9547 86400.0 0.0 1 1.1574E-05 1.1574E-05 1.0 1.0 ! ASER_1I’m not sure what is going on with the precipitation in the Lake Okeechobee model since that is 4-5 times the average annual precipitation, as you pointed out.Definitely take care when doing the conversion, as precipitation can have all kinds of units associated with it that may not necessarily be normalized by a unit of time.Hope that helps!Tom

Hi In Art,The 1.1574E-5 conversion factor would get you from units of meters per day to units of meters per second.Hope that helps clear things up!Tom