Time-series of Domain Volume

Is there a way in EFDC_Explorer to retrieve a time-series of the volume of water in the model domain? If so, how is it done. I would like to avoid using the Matlab utility.

Hi,

I think you can follow this procedure.
At time t = 0, you can find out area of all of your cells and initial depth of all of the cells. That way you can find the volume of all of your cells.
Then at next time, you can find the water surface elevation of all the cells, based on the water surface elevations, you can find the volume of your cells at another time. You can follow this same procedure for n number of times. The sum of the individual cell volumes would be your total volume.

I hope it helps.

Janesh.

Hi Janesh,

Thank you for your quick reply. Your approach only works for a handful of time-steps, but not for a long sequence. Further, there is no easy way to get and export the water elevations for all cells for an arbitrary time-step in EFDC_Explorer. The method you outlined is the standard method, but needs to be automated. Is there a way to do this easily in EFDC_Explorer, or does this require the use of the Matlab utility? The Matlab utility is written in such a way to make exporting of a single parameter for all active cells for a given time-step or array of time-steps difficult. Do you have suggestions about how to modify the Matlab code to achieve what I am trying to do?

Thank you

David

Hello David,

It took a while to reply to your message. Actually, I tested with the FORTRAN utility program that I had previously downloaded from this website. I used EFDC Explorer version 6 for this testing. You could use that utility to extract the water depth for all times. I don’t know what version of EFDC Explorer you use. I tested with the EFDC Explorer version 6. Here is the sample GETEFDC.INP file

** COMMENT LINES START WITH “*”
** GETEFDC IS A PROGRAM TO EXTRACT BINARY OUTPUT FILES OF ONE SELECTED LAYER
** AT GIVEN TIME AND TIME SERIES DATA AT SELECTED LOCATIONS BY USER
** OBLIGATORY INPUT FILES (EXCEPT MAPPGNS.INP):
** 1.EFDC.INP
** 2.LXLY.INP
** 3.CELL.INP
** 4.CORNERS.INP
** 5.MAPPGNS.INP
C:Age of Water testing1.8.2013 1 d channel 500 cells 1 m sizeEFDC.INP
C:Age of Water testing1.8.2013 1 d channel 500 cells 1 m sizeLXLY.INP
C:Age of Water testing1.8.2013 1 d channel 500 cells 1 m sizeCELL.INP
C:Age of Water testing1.8.2013 1 d channel 500 cells 1 m sizeCORNERS.INP
NO MAPPGNS.INP
** OPTIONAL INPUT FILES:
** THE FOLLOWING FILES MUST BE LISTED IN THE RIGHT ORDER
** FILENAME OR A BLANK LINE/ANY COMMENT LINE IF IT IS NOT USED
** 1.EE_WS.OUT
** 2.EE_VEL.OUT
** 3.EE_WC.OUT
** 4.EE_WQ.OUT
C:Age of Water testing1.8.2013 1 d channel 500 cells 1 m sizeEE_WS.OUT
C:Age of Water testing1.8.2013 1 d channel 500 cells 1 m sizeEE_VEL.OUT
C:Age of Water testing1.8.2013 1 d channel 500 cells 1 m sizeEE_WC.OUT
NO EE_WQ.OUT
** OPTIONS FOR OUTPUT:
** LAYK = K: DATA AT LAYER NUMBER K TO BE EXPORTED AT TIME=JULTIME
** 0: WHOLE DOMAIN DATA WILL BE EXPORTED FOR EVERY TIME
** REGARDLESS JULTIME AND NLOC
** JULTIME : JULIAN TIME FOR SELECTED LAYER
** NLOC : NUMBER OF CELLS TO EXTRACT TIMESERIES
** ROTA = 1: (U,V) AT CELL CENTER ROTATED TO TRUE EAST AND TRUE NORTH
** 0: (U,V) AT CELL FACES WITHOUT ROTATION
** INDEX = 1: (I,J) OF CELLS ARE GIVEN
** 0: (X,Y) OF CELLS ARE GIVEN
** LAYK JULTIME NLOC ROTA INDEX
0 1 1 1 1
** (I,J) OR (X,Y) OF CELLS TO EXTRACT TIME SERIES
** I/X J/Y
3 3

As you notice on the option LAYK, if you write as 0 then it will extract the data at all the times regardless of julian time and nloc. This option will be very useful to extract the data at all times. This is what you are looking at. However, you might need to develop a utility program to process this big data and then find the volume at all the times. You can write you utility in “R” programming or any other languages that can handle big data without throwing any error.

After you run the utility program then you should find the file named “WAT_DEP.DAT” which contains the depth data at all times. I briefly used the latest utility also and it seems to work with only EFDC Explorer version 7 and I got some errors. I didn’t spend much time on that utility as I had the older version which was working perfectly.

I hope this helps.

Janesh

Hi Janesh,

Thank you for your assistance - it is greatly appreciated. I will try your suggestions and ask if I have any questions.

David