Questions about harmonic condition

Hi, EE technical supports,
I have two questions about estuary simulation.
(1) Right now I have the water level data(the sum of surge and harminc wl) for bay’s entrance. When I want to simulate the chl-a concentration in the bay. When I do the hydrodynamic part, does the grids need to include the sea-extended part? Why? Is it OK without that part?
(2) I couldn’t simulate the water elevation well right now (both with and without sea-extended part). The main problem is the smaller amplitude of the simulation results than that of the observation data. Even I deactivate the sea-extended part to make sure the better results of the outlets, still there is no significant improvement for the water level simulation results inside the bay. So What’s the reason of that and how could I do to improve it? Do I need to simulate harmonic part in addition?

a lot of questions here. Could you please help me with it. I use EE7.1 right now to simulate it.
I’m so appreciated for your help.
Thanks again,
Sophie

Hi Sophie,
Please find my responses to your questions below:

(1) Right now I have the water level data(the sum of surge and harminc wl) for bay’s entrance. When I want to simulate the chl-a concentration in the bay. When I do the hydrodynamic part, does the grids need to include the sea-extended part? Why? Is it OK without that part?
It is a good practice to include the sea-extended part in your model domain because having the extended sea grid would help the momentum generated from tides get into the model freely. If you don’t want to include the sea-extended part, then you should have the measured data at the location where you would specify the boundary.
(2) I couldn’t simulate the water elevation well right now (both with and without sea-extended part). The main problem is the smaller amplitude of the simulation results than that of the observation data. Even I deactivate the sea-extended part to make sure the better results of the outlets, still there is no significant improvement for the water level simulation results inside the bay. So What’s the reason of that and how could I do to improve it? Do I need to simulate harmonic part in addition?
The model outputs depend on your data. As in the modeling world they say “Garbage in , garbage out”. So, it is very important to have the measured high quality data in order to calibrate the model. There are so many factors that impact your model results. Some of the common and important ones are grid resolution, grid orthogonalization, bathymetry resolution, and measured boundary conditions. We do not have your model to see what’s going on. What type of data are you using on the open boundary ? Is that measured data or harmonic boundary ? If you are using harmonic consituents, did you generate those from data analysis or got from NOAA or some authentic websites ?