Model that runs on EE5 crashes on EE6

I have been running EFDC Explorer 5 for a while. But now I have decided to upgrade to EFDC Explorer 6. However, I see that when I upgrade from EFDC Explorer 5 to 6, the model which was running fine is crashed on EFDC Explorer 6. I get errors like negative depth, overflow error. I thought both the EFDC could run on the same time step. What do I need to do in this scenario ?

Thanks.

John

Hi John,

There are potentially two reasons for the problem you are experiencing – one is that the latest EFDC_DSI is not fully backwardly compatible with EE5. You need to load your old EE5 model and save it out within EE6. This will reformat the input files in the correct way for the latest version of EFDC.

Another issue is possibly the changes to RIQMAX limits. In order to change this you should go to the “Hydrodynamics” tab and press the “Modify” button in the “Turbulence Options”. You should then select the “Turbulent Intensity” tab. From here you will be able to select different options in the drop down box “Vertical Turbulence Limiting Options”. In EE6 it is recommended that you select “Limit Length Scale and Limit RIQMAX” for improved model stability. This is covered in more detail in Section 4.5.1.2 of the User Manual.

We hope this is helpful.