Input gridded climate data in EE

Hi All,
I am running a EFDC model on Lake Ontario with meterological data from 7 weather stations. But we may also get some gridded (around 50 grid points) climate data from Global Climate Model (GCM).
Do you think it is possible to input gridded climate data (WSER and ASER parameters) through EFDC Explorer?

Thanks,
Rumana

Rumana,

I don’t think you could use all the gridded climate data from Global Climate Model. I wonder what is the difference in temperature and other parameters at those locations. If there is not much difference you don’t need to worry about including all the data. You could probably use the data from probably 3-4 stations and then use the weighting factor on the cells to specify which portion of the cells will use which wind / atmospheric data. Or you could average the data from 12 stations and use 4 representative series for ASER and WSER. This is what I think. Please share if you have any other ideas.

Thanks

John

Hello John,
Thank you for your reply. I also thought same. Currently my model has 7 weather station data with weighing factor. The using of gridded data form GCM came as an idea. If I get any further opinion from anyone, I will let you know.

Thanks,
Rumana

Hi Rumana,

Actually you could add the gridded climate data. To do this you would need to create a separate time series for the gridded climate data with each node as a separate ASER and WSER series. You would then need to weight them with your preferred method such as inverse distance method.

Hello EE Team,
Thank you for your response. So as I understand in gridded climate data each grid will be considered as a station. Is there any max limit for using no. of ASER and WSER serieses, ex. 50? Cause the gridded climate data may ahve 50 grid nodes.

Thanks,
Rumana

Hi Rumana,

No, there is no practical limit to the number of series you can use. It is really only dependent on the memory available in your computer.