How is age of water related to age of pollutant?

In EFDC Explorer, there is a feature to calculate the age of water. I believe the approach used in EFDC Explorer is that it accounts all the water coming into the system from all the boundaries. I was wondering if we could only choose one tributary and then see the water age distribution. I don’t know whether it is possible in EFDC Explorer or not. There are several papers out there which are oriented on age of water. They have used the dye concentration and the age concentration to find out the age of water / pollutant. However, it seems that EFDC explorer doesn’t consider the dilution and just uses dye concentration to calculate the age of water. Is age of water the same as age of pollutant as calculated by EFDC Explorer ?

John

Hi John,

Yes, it is possible to see the water age distribution for one tributary by using a polygon to select the area of interest. On your other question, yes, EE does consider dilution. However, it would help us if you could provide a more detailed example of what you are trying to do for us to better understand your question.