Boundary Conditions/Forcing Functions

Hi EFDC Users,

How do I classify water evaporation and rainfall in the boundary conditions? do i also use 1-Flow boundary type?

And if so, how do i distribute the amount of evaporation and rainfall in the grids that I have generated?
Will it have a little, to no effect, if I pick one particular point for the evaporation and identify a constant flow?
The another point for rainfall then identify the constant flow?

Is it okei to model that way?

Thank you.

armicunanan wrote: How do I classify water evaporation and rainfall in the boundary conditions? do i also use 1-Flow boundary type?

And if so, how do i distribute the amount of evaporation and rainfall in the grids that I have generated?
Will it have a little, to no effect, if I pick one particular point for the evaporation and identify a constant flow?
The another point for rainfall then identify the constant flow?

Is it okei to model that way?

Thank you.

Hello Armi,

In EFDC you can specify evaporation and rainfall in the separate file called aser.inp. To represent the atmospheric conditions you need the following parameters.
Atmospheric pressure (millibars)
Rainfall (inches)
Air temperature (degree celsius)
Evaporation(m/day)
Relative humidity (fraction)
solar radiation (W/m2)
cloud cover (fraction)

If you don't have the evaporation measurement you can specify zero in aser.inp.
To create a new atmospheric series go to Boundary Conditions --> Atmospheric and click on "E" button.

After you have specified all the atmospheric parameters go to Show Params in "Data Series: Atmsophere" as shown in following figure:

![|600x600](upload://rTForzEE5l1KDqcQpyFRF3eako1.png)

Now you will get the following window:

![|600x500](upload://5vzaXCuQmzRCEVBkrqUyJddYSei.png)

Make sure you have "1" in the first field "TWet Field, 0-WetBulb, 1-Rel Hum" if you are using relative humidity and make sure you write "True" on "Internally Computer Evaporation (Y/N).

After specifying this file make sure you enable Temperature module.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Janesh Devkota

Hello Armi and Janesh,
It means if i don.t activated the temperature modul so the atmosferic data is not use in the calculation. Is it ?
Regards
DYAH ARI

Hi Janesh, I am using EFDC Explorer 7.1 To view the Atmospheric Conditions, I activated Temperature, then Modified Atmospheric Data. I have noticed that you have 55,572 points for the time in your sample shown above. I have an average data for 12months, but I have only typed one yet, I still have to convert the units based on your reply above. Is your time step 11 sec under time? How many points is the advisable to be used? I am planning to model a run for 10 days only while I am having my trials. Should I copy the other atmospheric parameters you have? Under the latitude and longitude, I will input the location I have. Was all the atmospheric parameters manually input? Thank you. All is very helpful. Here is my print screen.{REMOVED} Armi

dyah2012 wrote: Hello Armi and Janesh,
It means if i don.t activated the temperature modul so the atmosferic data is not use in the calculation. Is it ?
Regards
DYAH ARI

Hi Dyah Ari

I think so. :) Only the active module selected will be considered in the run.

Armi
armicunanan wrote: [quote=dyah2012]Hello Armi and Janesh,
Regards
DYAH ARI

Hi Dyah Ari

I think so. :) Only the active module selected will be considered in the run.

Armi
The atmospheric input will affect to your hydrodynamic model since it provides the rainfall and evaporation rate there.

// Tinh

Hello all,I do not have evaporation and solar radiation data for my station. How can I activate internally compute evaporation and solar radiation in this case? When I clicked SHOW PARAMS, it shows only a few details as shown in the figure attached. Is there any other way to activate it? I am not sure why mine is different.Thanks,Manisha

Hi Tom, Thank you for the explanation. It is helpful definitely.Manisha

Dear Tom, according to your reply “#5076” in this question, I also tried many different " additional options for how evaporation will be integrated into the overall mass balance ". You can see the “Different-Evapo_Option_result.docx” in my Question “A serious “BUG”(?) in Time Series Plots of Model Analysis” (https://www.eemodelingsystem.com/user-center/forums/topic/a-serious-bug-in-time-series-plots-of-model-analysis). However, these calculated evaporation are all the same. But I truly did have different evaporation outcomes among these different methods several days ago. Recently, when I rerun the model, the result are all the same. I don’t know what’s wrong. I think I didn’t change the model. So sad…