Big difference in water level when changing one vertical layer to five layers

As attached in this letter (“Mod_Oke-one-five-layer.rar”), the model “one layer” and “five layer” have different simulated water level, which can be seen obviously in the video “One_Five_Layer.mp4”. I do not change other things other than “layers” in Domain Tab. The reason I guess is that I use EE internal evaporation options, maybe in five layers, the calculation is different? PS: You can see that in “Layer 1” model, the result is quite good; while in “Layer 5” Model, the result is not so good. Please do not disclose my model publicly at present. I have not finished it and it’s preliminary.

Latent heat flux, and subsequently evaporation, are highly sensitive to the water surface temperature. Depending on the depth of your water body, a 1 layer model may not accurately reflect the thermal structure of the water body.Also, consider the vertical layering scheme you are using (standard sigma or sigma-zed) as this also has an impact on the thermal structure. It is likely you will need to recalibrate the heat flux parameters in your model when you make the change from 1- to k-layers.

Very thanks Tom. Could you give me some general advice or what reference resources can I look for, when I try to “recalibrate the heat flux parameters”?

Or maybe I can change “A, B, C” value of the “wind function” in the Temperature Tab?By the way, I read the instruction booke and find that “Evaporation Options” are used in “Forced Evaporation”, and it is used to “quantify increased evaporation induced by increased water temperatures due to releases from thermoelectric power plants”. In my study, I just use evaporation option to calculate the actual evaporation, because no actual evaporation observations are available in ASER.inp. Am I right? I mean, I didn’t use it for “power plants”